Arsenal encourage Inter Milan to get Henry

The Italian giants are preparing to make a ’20 million offer for the unsettled Highbury star and have made a direct approach to Arsenal ‘ and have been told to come back at the end of the season once the they know whether Henry wants to leave. The Gunners captain has only one more season left on his contract and has yet to sign a new deal. An Inter insider said: “We made an approach for Henry. Arsenal expect a huge offer but only if Henry wants to go.” I’m not quitting: Mourinho Jose Mourinho has rubbished reports he is quitting Chelsea. The Stamford Bridge boss dismissed as wildly inaccurate claims that he has agreed to join Inter Milan. And in a defiant message to all Chelsea fans, he insisted he would still be at Stamford Bridge next season. He said: “There’s no way I am going to join Inter Milan in the summer, no way at all.” He reacted with amazement when told about the stories suggesting he had already told Chelsea he was leaving. Mourinho’s emphatic statement also scuppered reports that Chelsea were lining up PSV Eindhoven coach Guus Hiddink as a replacement. Gunners their own worst enemies Thierry Henry insists Arsenal will continue to be their own biggest critics ‘ even if they keep winning. The Highbury ace says it is too late to point fingers when a team has just lost. Henry was annoyed with the second-half performance in the 3-0 win over Charlton last weekend, believing the team stopped playing its normal, slick passing game. The French star said: “The reason I was critical of the team as a unit is that it is better to do it when you have won. When you have lost a game, it is too late. “It has taken us a long time to get where we are again and it is easier to lose it again ‘ rather than build it back up. “I love the way we play. We have a reputation as a team which likes to pass the ball and it has to stay like that. “Against Charlton, we started taking it easy at 3-0 up and that was why I was disappointed.” Chelsea must learn to lose with dignity Petr Cech wants Chelsea to start learning how to lose with dignity. The Blues’ shock 1-0 defeat at Fulham last Sunday was another bad-tempered clash brimming with ill-feeling. The club look set to be hit with an FA rap for failing to control both their players and fans, while William Gallas’ late sending off for a horror lunge on Heidar Helguson summed up the champions’ afternoon. Boss Jose Mourinho also moaned at referee Mike Dean following Didier Drogba’s disallowed goal. Now Cech would love to see the boys from the Bridge accept setbacks with much more grace. He said: “Everyone hates losing games but sometimes you have to accept it’s not your day and you lost. We are disappointed because we wanted to win this game to keep our points gap at the top and make a good start to the week ahead of the FA Cup.” Moyes set for Newcastle job Everton boss David Moyes has emerged as a shock front-runner for the vacant Newcastle job. The Goodison chief has impressed Toon chairman Freddie Shepherd with the way he has steered Everton from an early-season relegation scrap to the fringes of a Uefa Cup place. Moyes has worked wonders in transforming the Merseysiders from perennial strugglers to European hopefuls. And Newcastle believe he could be the man to rejuvenate the success-starved Tyneside club. Under Moyes, Everton just missed out on a Uefa Cup place three years ago and last season achieved the near impossible by leading Everton into the Champions League qualifiers. Benitez takes FA to task Rafa Benitez fears the FA are risking World Cup injury heartache for stars like Steven Gerrard. Liverpool’s boss is horrified at his team having to play twice in three days. He rapped: “It puts players under a lot more danger of injuries. If you are playing three days after a game, it can be done. But always the second day following a game is the worst. “If you are playing two days later, obviously the risk is more. I’ve certainly never had to do this in Spain.” Benitez’s men visited Birmingham on Tuesday night for an FA Cup quarter-final ‘ just 48 hours after their gruelling league trip to Newcastle. It was nothing more than pure joy Djibril Cisse has apologised for his controversial behaviour after scoring Liverpool’s third goal from the spot at Newcastle last weekend. And the French striker insisted he had not meant to be disrespectful to the Magpies fans. “I didn’t intend to be rude. I was just really happy to score a goal after such a long time, because scoring goals is what I love doing. “I want to make it clear I respect the Newcastle supporters and if they thought I was being disrespectful to them, then I obviously apologise for that. “Like all the strikers at the club, I have been desperate to find the net again and when the penalty went in I was absolutely delighted.”

March 2006
M T W T F S S
    Apr »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031