Mwanawasa at Tuku, son gig

Tuku and his band were officially invited by the MMD to perform at Taj Pamodzi Hotel where the party is said to have raised millions of kwacha for this year’s elections.

A ticket for the show cost K1.5 million (about N$3000).The organising committee said they had settled for Tuku because of his popularity and the wisdom in his music.

Mwanawasa also praised Tuku for the consistency in his music.

Before the Saturday dinner dance earlier on Friday Tuku held a well attended show for the general public at Lusaka’s International School.

While in Lusaka the music maestro also announced that he was in the process of compiling a book on the meaning of the songs he has done from all his 54 bestseller albums. Since most of his songs are in Shona, Tuku said the text compilation should have an English version. He said he has been performing in Zambia since way back in the 1980s.

At the peak of the show, which was a fundraising dinner dance for the ruling party, Mwanawasa could not resist the Tuku Music and he and his wife Maureen took to the floor.

According the official broadcaster, Zambian National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC), President Mwanawasa, who was guest of honour, said the ruling party deserved another term of office. He added that the period after this year’s elections would bring greater things for the people of Zambia.

He said there was a need for his New Deal Government to build on achievements made over the last five years from when he took over from Frederick Chiluba.

Mwanawasa said his government would continue to increase the capacity to mobilise local and foreign capital for investment.

He said his government would continue with prudent fiscal management to avoid re-emergence of budget deficits which fuel inflation.

Mwanawasa also pledged to continue providing incentives to key economic sectors such as mining, tourism, agriculture and manufacturing among others.

This week Mwanawasa left the country for a medical review in London following the stroke he suffered on March 31. After the stroke he was rushed to London the following day where he remained in hospital for three weeks. Last month doctors in Lusaka announced that he was fit to continue with the presidency.

July 2006
« Jun   Aug »