WFP out of donor funds for Angola

Donor support for the WFP’s relief programme has diminished alarmingly since last year.

“The situation has deteriorated to the extent that we will not be able to distribute food from next month, and will have to close down our operation entirely in September unless new contributions are received very soon,” said Sonsoles Ruedas, who is in charge of the WFP’s operation in the country.

According to a WFP study conducted late last year in rural areas of southern and eastern Angola, more than 900 000 people still do not get enough food, and at least 45 percent of children under the age of five are chronically malnourished, a condition that can irreversibly impair learning ability.

In a press statement released on Tuesday, the WFP said it needed at least US$12,6-million to distribute 7 700 metric tons of food aid to targeted Angolan beneficiaries for the remainder of 2006.

The total appeal for the three-year programme, which was launched in April this year, is for US$90 million.

The food-aid programme is aimed at alleviating the suffering of the poorest and thereby supporting post-war reconstruction.

It plans to assist more than 700 000 children in primary schools, pregnant and nursing women, and HIV and Aids, tuberculosis and pellagra sufferers.

Angola endured nearly 30 years of civil war, causing immense damage to infrastructure and social services. Healthcare and educational facilities are still basically non-existent in many areas. Millions of landmines litter the country.

The agency is also helping to design a national school-feeding programme to be fully funded and implemented by the ministry of education. ‘ Sapa.

July 2006
M T W T F S S
« Jun   Aug »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31