Namibia denies secret military pact
Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Ms. Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, who is also acting Minister of Foreign Affairs condemned a document published in the Windhoek Observer and the Afrikaans Republikein newspapers last week under the title “Provisions of the Luanda-Windhoek Military Pact: The treaty of Dos Santos and Nujoma”.
She called it devoid of all truth and ascribed it to amateurs who were at work to derail the region’s peace, stability and development.
At a press conference on Thursday afternoon, Ndaitwah said the government of Namibia rejected with contempt, the document that claimed that Namibia and Angola entered into a military pact in the 1990s to assist each other in the event of military conflict between Namibia and Botswana and agreed on steps to be taken if South Africa were to become involved in the conflict.
Ndaitwah pointed out that there was no need for secret bilateral defence pacts as Namibia was a member of SADC and was committed to the objectives of the organisation, which included regional integration, peace, harmonious co-existence and development.
Also part of the SADC structures were mechanisms to intervene in the event of any disagreement or hostilities, such as the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Co-operation.
Similarly, she said, a “defence protocol” between Namibia and Angola currently being circulated in Namibia, was a fabrication, adding that there was no military pact, protocol or memorandum of understanding on bilateral assistance between Namibia and Angola in the event of military conflict with other SADC member states.
She stressed that Namibia maintained excellent relations with all SADC member states and that there were no hostilities among any of the member states.
Ndaitwah said that motives of the authors of the so-called military pact which implicated the Founding Father of the Namibia Nation Dr Sam Nujoma and Angolan President Eduardo Dos Santos as supposed master minds of the document, were unknown, but emphasised that this fake document had the potential to damage excellent relations between Namibia, Botswana, Angola and South Africa and other SADC member states.
She was supported in her statement by representatives of Botswana, Angolan and South African diplomatic missions. All three condemned the document and the Angolan representative denied that such a document had ever been signed.
The minister said Namibia called on any member of the media or, in fact, any member of society, with information on the origin of the false document to come forward to ensure that action was taken.
The minister said that the only bilateral document on co-operation between Namibia and Angola in the domain of defence was based on the General Agreement signed between the two countries in September 1990 and the agreement on the establishment of a Joint Commission on Defence and Security signed on 11 April 1996 and had been signed by the two ministers of defence at Ondangwa on 7 July 2006.