SADC Organ Troika Declaration on Madagscar
RECALLING all the decisions taken by the SADC Summits of Heads of State and Government on the political situation in Madagascar; Recognizing the need of preserving the interests of the Malagasy people;
REAFFIRMING: (i) that the Roadmap remains the only viable mechanism for ending the crisis in Madagascar;
(ii) further our commitment to help the Malagasy people put an end to the political crisis in Madagascar and return the country to constitutional normalcy; (iii) the need of respecting the electoral calendar as adopted by the National Independent Electoral Commission of the Transition (CENIT) and the United Nations (UN).
WE, Presidents Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete (of the United Republic of Tanzania), Hifikepunye Pohamba (of the Republic of Namibia), and Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma (of the Republic of South Africa) of the SADC Organ Troika and President Armando Emilio Guebuza, (of the Republic of Mozambique), Chairperson of SADC, hereby decide as follows:
1. Welcome and commend the undertaking made by H.E. Andry Rajoelina, President of Transition in Madagascar and H.E. Marc Ravalomanana, former President of Madagascar to the effect that they will not stand for the forthcoming Presidential and Parliamentary elections;
2. Urge the Malagasy people to promote the spirit of reconciliation, peace and stability and to refrain from all acts of destabilization in the country;
3. Also urge the Malagasy political stakeholders to assume their responsibility of peacefully delivering Madagascar out of the crisis;
4. Reiterate that Government Members should resign from office sixty (60) days before the election date, should they decide to run for the legislative and/or presidential elections as provided for in Article 14 of the Roadmap;
5. Also reiterate that “the President, the Government, the Heads of Institutions and the entire administrative machinery of the Transition shall remain neutral during the transition period, particularly in the electoral process” (Article 15 of the Roadmap);
6. Further reiterate the SADC endorsement of the electoral calendar of the Presidential and Parliamentary Elections scheduled for May and July 2013;
7. Call upon the Malagasy Parliament of Transition to enact legislation to grant comprehensive amnesty to H.E. Andry Rajoelina, President of the Transition in Madagascar and H.E. Marc Ravalomanana, former President of Madagascar. This amnesty should also be extended to the Malagasy security forces;
8. Urge the Malagasy Parliament of Transition to enact legislation on status of former Malagasy Presidents. This legislation should include relevant privileges and immunities;
9. SADC leadership and the SADC Mediator on Madagascar will continue to be seized with the matter.