Artists angry with NASCAM over NAMAs confirmation letters
With only four days left to the closing of entries for the 2017 Namibia Annual Music Awards (NAMAs), some artists are accusing the Namibian Society of Composers and Authors of Music (NASCAM) of refusing to give them confirmation letters to enter the NAMAs.
It is understood that a notice was placed at the NASCAM head office in Windhoek, to the effect that NASCAM’s offices would be closed for the registration of old and new artists from November 7 until the second week of January 2017.
One of the emerging artists, who asked to remain anonymous, said he has been to NASCAM’s offices to register his new album three times, but apparently the officials there turned him away each time, saying that some emerging artists are not serious about music and only do it for the NAMAs. “This organisation is killing us and we get paid from our music. How does one not want us to enter the awards?” the artist asked.
The CEO of NASCAM, Eino-John Max, says the artists who are complaining are those that did not attend the NASCAM Annual General Meeting in October in Windhoek, where all artists were told what to do.
“Artists come to us with different stories. We have made arrangements that those who want to register for the NAMAs will be assisted. All they have to do is to show us proof that they want to enter the NAMAs,” Max explained.
The NAMAs organising committee last week urged all interested artists to submit their applications in good time and not to wait until the very last minute on the closing day – Friday – to enter the popular music contest.