Have you ever had problems with your garage doors? Well, you’re not the only person in the world who has to deal with such a problem. However, ignoring it is never a good idea. If a garage door isn’t functioning correctly, take measures to repair it right away. Apart from the inconveniences that you may face, there are also issues related to your property’s safety so this must always be taken quite seriously. Our sincere recommendation is do not take garage doors for granted – there will be a moment when they stop moving and you’re in a hurry. It doesn’t seem like a situation you’d like to be in, does it?
If you’re looking for garage door repair Arlington, then you’ve come just to the right place! STI Garage Door can do the challenging work for you and fix your garage door problems quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively.
Now, let’s dive a bit deeper into this topic and discover everything you need to know about the most common garage door problems and the repair process.
Table of Contents
Garage doors: common problems
In general, when it comes to garage door problems, we can distinguish two main components that may require fixing most often: the door itself and the opener. Besides, you sometimes can hear your garage making a lot of noise or notice it looking uneven or performing at much slower than usual. That’s the sign for you to do something – either yourself or ask experts to solve the problem. It depends mostly on the issue’s complexity and your skills.
In this section, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most common problems with garage doors that you may come across. But be sure – these are not critical if spotted and fixed early.
- Noisy operation is quite a common issue. The source of the irritating noise may be worn rollers, hinges, or springs. The problem can be solved with regular lubrication and maintenance.
- Broken springs can make the door unbalanced and difficult to open. Broken springs should be replaced promptly by a professional. The cost to replace a garage spring door depends on the material costs, labor, and the removal of old garage door fixtures
- Difficult to open or close. You don’t want to get stuck and spend your precious time trying to open or close your garage doors, do you? In case of trouble, first check the balance or the fuse.
- Roller problems come up when rollers wear out, leading to difficulty in opening or closing the door smoothly. Replacing old rollers is the solution.
- Covered or obscured sensors. First of all, check whether there are any places where obstacles might be blocking signals. You’re also recommended to check the antenna for any dirt or build-up. Ensuring the sensors are correctly aligned and clean is essential for safe and seamless operation.
- Too old opener can include issues with the remote control, safety sensors, or the motor itself. Troubleshooting the opener or seeking professional assistance may be necessary. Modern automatic door openers with auto-stop and auto-reverse mechanisms create fewer accidents, however, crack-ups can still occur unless proper maintenance is ensured.
- Unevenly moving door. The reasons may be obstacles on the door’s path, rust, or spring system issues. Do not let the problem become critical and better call for a specialist to fix it.
- The weather stripping around the garage door can deteriorate over time, allowing drafts, moisture, and pests to enter the garage. The solution is simple – you just need to replace weather stripping. It’s part of the maintenance process.
- Remote control issues or problems with the keypad can prevent the door from opening or closing. This may be due to dead batteries, signal interference, or programming issues. If the problem is with the keypad, take the user manual to find out how to sync the keypad and remote properly.
How to fix garage doors: tricks and tips
If you’re looking for an ultimate guide on how to repair garage doors in Arlington that everyone can apply, we should disappoint you a bit – there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Every garage door type has its specifications, it is made from different materials and therefore requires a different fixing process.
There are problems that you can fix yourself as well as problems that are better to be solved by a professional.
Here, you can see a few useful tips on how to fix some garage door issues.
- Safety always comes first. Keep in mind that garage doors can be one of the more dangerous parts of the house to work with. In order to avoid damage, unplug the garage door opener before you start. Additionally, get familiar with all safety instructions for repairing garage doors and wear all safety equipment, including safety glasses.
- Tighten C-clamps as a safety measure to prevent the door from accidentally falling.
- Examine metal tracks for any kind of damage. If an issue is detected, take necessary actions to solve it.
- Tighten or completely replace mounting brackets. These can be loose or seriously damaged.
- Check the extension string – it is attached to the garage ceiling. It should be replaced if defected.
- The problem may be with pulley lifting cables. That is why, these must be carefully examined and if there are any defects, cables must be replaced, not repaired.
Even though there are a few insignificant issues a passionate DIYer can fight, in most cases it is much better and safer to address experts. Sometimes trying to fix a garage door is not a great idea, and here’s why:
- Should you lack experience, expertise, or just the correct tools, you may do even more damage. As a result, you will call a specialist anyway and spend more money on repairs.
- You cannot repair garage doors correctly without specialized components and specific tools.
- You can void your warranty when trying to fix the door yourself thus increasing your spending in the long run.
- The trial-and-error method does not always work out. In fact, it can bring about more problems. You can spend hours fixing just the effects of the problem instead of locating the root of the problem and dealing with it precisely.
- You can get injured.
Find a reliable team of professionals
If you are in search of garage door repair services in Arlington, STI Garage Door must be a win-win solution for you. Hiring experts is always better than putting in a lot of blood, sweat, and tears and trying to solve the problem on your own. More to this – hiring experienced and high-skilled experts with all the necessary tools at their disposal is half the battle. Take a rest and they will cover the work.