There are various reasons for a foul smell in houses with cats. Some of them include cat urine, feces, hair, dander, etc. However, this unpleasant smell is just unbearable. Also, it can get very hard for cat parents to remove this smell if they don’t find a solution to this. Hence, to help you with the same, we decided to come up with this blog on how to get rid of cat smell in house.
In this blog, we will discuss various methods that can help cat parents remove that unpleasant smell from their homes. Those methods will include different house cleaning tips and tricks, tips on cat grooming, and ways to keep your cat’s areas clean. This will also help our readers discover the different reasons for cat smell in their homes. But first, let us discuss why cat smell does not go on its own.
Table of Contents
Why is it so hard for cat parents to get rid of cat smell in the house?
We all know that cats are carnivorous animals. Irrespective of whether they are stray cats or pet cats, it is advised that we should feed nonveg food to cats. Many cat parents either provide home-cooked meat or packaged cat food to their feline babies. This is one reason why their waste materials smell gross. Additionally, this smell keeps on piling up if not cleaned then and there.
According to various research, it is proven that cat poop smells worse than dog poop. Also, cat poop and urine tend to break down into ammonium chloride when left unattended for a long time. This is the main reason it gets tough for cat parents to remove that unpleasant smell from their house.
Different ways on how to get rid of cat smell in house
Here are some tips that cat parents can consider to eliminate their feline baby’s smell from all around their house.
1. Try to clean and maintain hygiene in your cat’s areas
Here are some tips that cat parents can consider to clean their cat’s areas and maintain hygiene in their homes.
1.1. Regularly clean and maintain your cat’s litter box
People who are looking for ways on how to get rid of cat smell in house should regularly clean and maintain their cat’s litter box. This is because a dirty litter box could be the main reason for foul cat smell in your home. We are listing some tips that you can consider while cleaning your cat’s litter box to eliminate the odor.
Steps to consider while regularly cleaning and maintaining your cat’s litter box
- Regularly empty your cat’s litter box. This will ensure that the cat’s pee and poop won’t sit in the litter box for a long time.
- it is also advised that you should regularly remove the pee lumps and feces present in the litter box at least twice or thrice daily. This will let the litter stay clean and last longer.
- Don’t go for fancy cat litter that smells great. Instead, try to use unscented cat litter. This is because the scent present in the litter will mix with your cat’s urine and feces smell. As a result, it will create an unbearable smell in your house.
- Keep different litter boxes if you have more than one cat. Keeping a single box will lead to a filthy and stinky litter box. The waste material will keep on piling up. As a result, the unpleasant smell will also keep on increasing and take no time to spread all over your home.
1.2. Regularly clean your cat’s play areas
Cleaning your cat’s play area is a perfect answer on how to get rid of cat smell in house. This is simply because cats create a lot of mess with their toys and around their play areas. This results in the collection of cat hair around their scratch posts and trees. Additionally, while playing, cats tend to get excited. This leads to them peeing on their scratch post or around it. This could be the reason for the foul cat smell in your house.
If you clean your cat’s play area with effective cleaning products, you can quickly get rid of the odor. This will also help you eliminate the buildup of your cat’s hair and other dirt materials.
1.3. Wash your cat’s bedding on a regular basis
As mentioned, there can be various reasons for cats’ smell in your house. Dirty cat bedding might be one of those. Hence, to eliminate foul smell from your home, you should wash your cat bedding on a regular basis. This will directly stop the odor from building up. Therefore, we advise you to wash your cat’s bed and blankets at least thrice a month. This will not only help in keeping your house clean, but it will also promote your cat’s physical hygiene.
1.4. Regularly clean your cat’s utensils and eating area
You must understand that cleaning your cat’s utensils is very important. Letting your cat eat from dirty utensils will not only result in a foul smell in your house but instead, it can also lead to bacterial infections and food poisoning.
Additionally, just like human beings, cats also create a mess while having their food. The food might sometimes fall out of their mouth. It sometimes also gets stuck on the walls while they are licking and eating their food. Due to this, it is essential for cat parents to clean their cat’s eating area regularly.
2. Use different cleaners to remove cat smell from your house
Listed below are some home-based cleaning solutions which cat parents can use to remove their cat’s unpleasant smell from their homes
2.1. Use vinegar to clean your house
You might sense a strong urine smell in your house. This can be due to your cat not be trained, and hence, it keeps on peeing everywhere. In this case, individuals looking at how to get rid of cat smell in house can try using vinegar from their pantry.
Vinegar has been proven to be an effective remedy to eliminate strong or unpleasant smells naturally. It can neutralize the acid present in a cat’s urine. Hence, vinegar won’t take much time to alleviate the odor. Also, we suggest you use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar or something else. This is because white vinegar is comparatively more acidic.
Listed below are different ways in which individuals can use vinegar to eliminate cat smell from their homes.
How to get rid of cat smell in house by using white vinegar
- You can create a vinegar spray by equally mixing white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray this solution on all the areas of your home wherever you experience an unpleasant smell.
- For very large areas, individuals can directly soak a large piece of cloth in vinegar and spread it on the urine-affected area.
- If your cat urinated on the carpet or rug, mix vinegar with your regular carpet cleaner. However, we suggest you do a patch test on your carpet first. This will help you judge whether this remedy will lead to carpet stains or not.
2.2. Utilize an enzymatic cleaner to eliminate your cat’s urine and poop smell
We have mentioned previously that if cat parents do not clean cat urine and poop for a long time, it will break down into ammonium chloride. This is one of the main reasons for cats’ smell in your house. Hence, to eliminate this smell, cat parents can utilize an enzymatic cleaner. It is believed that enzymatic cleaners possess the ability to break down complex chemicals present in cat poop and pee.
Hence, effective enzymatic cleaners can simply break down ammonium chloride, sulfur, etc, which are the main causes of smell.
2.3. Baking soda to get rid of cat smell from the house
This is another way cat parents can consider to eliminate cat poop and pee smell from their homes. They can use baking soda to make their home odor-free. Being basic in nature, baking soda has the capacity to neutralize acidic substances. Hence, it can clearly be used to balance the uric acid and other caustic substances present in your cat’s waste material. Additionally there are different ways in which individuals can use baking soda as a method on how to get rid of cat smell in house. Some of them are listed below.
Different ways to utilize baking soda for eliminating cat smell from home
- Sprinkling baking soda on a smelling area
Individuals can directly sprinkle a handful of baking soda on that particular area where your cat has peed or pooped. Let it sit in that area for at least 1 hour. You can manipulate the quantity of baking soda and its resting time, depending upon the severity of the cat’s urine smell.
- Baking soda mixed with other ingredients to create a natural air freshener
Another way cat parents can utilize baking soda is by making a natural air freshener by using it. You will only require some essential natural ingredients from your kitchen. Apart from baking soda, these will include two to three teaspoons of cinnamon and ground cloves. You can also collect some dried herbs, such as lavender, jasmine, or rosemary, if available. Now, mix all these listed ingredients well. This power will act as a natural air freshener. You can sprinkle it on the foul-smelling area. After an hour or two, you can vacuum that particular area.
2.4. Try hydrogen peroxide (h2O2) to eliminate cat smell
Hydrogen peroxide is another effective way that can help individuals looking for answers to how to get rid of cat smell in house. It is a colorless liquid that is readily available on the market. Individuals can directly pour hydrogen peroxide that smells bad on every area of their home. It has a slightly sharp smell, which can help oxidize the odor of ammonium chloride. Additionally, the best part about using hydrogen peroxide is it will hardly take ten to fifteen minutes to erode the foul smell.
Individuals can mix hydrogen peroxide with regular detergent or cleaner for better results. However, there are certain things they should consider while doing the same.
Things to consider while using hydrogen peroxide
- Individuals might experience a sense of irritation in their eyes, nose, and throat while working with h2O2. Hence, we advise you to take proper precautions, such as wearing gloves and masks.
- Hydrogen peroxide might discolor your carpets and mats. Hence, make sure you thoroughly clean it once the smell is gone. Or, instead, we advise you to do a patch test first. This will prevent your expensive rugs and mats from getting discolored.
3. Eliminate the cat’s smell from your house by regularly kempting your cat
It is very important for cat parents to regularly groom their cat. This will help promote their cat’s physical health. A neat and clean cat will automatically help eliminate odor from building up in your house.
3.1. Keep your cat neat
Individuals who wish to get rid of cat smell from their houses should first focus on keeping their cats clean and tidy. Doing this will ensure that no unpleasant smell builds up in your home. Additionally, this will also promote their cat’s overall well-being as well. If you groom your cat on a regular basis, you can easily keep the foul smell out of your home. Listed below are some tips cat parents can follow to keep their cats neat and clean.
Steps to keep your cat clean and tidy
- Thoroughly brush your cat’s coat twice or thrice a day. This will help you eliminate the dirt buildup in their coat. Also, removing unwanted hair will indicate less cat hair all over your house.
- Clean your cat’s ear with a mild ear cleaner at least once a week. You can prevent ear wax from building up in your cat’s ears.
- Your cat’s paws will contain a lot of dirt and bacteria. Hence, to prevent infections from happening, we advise you to regularly wash their paws after a walk. Also, do not forget to trim their nails.
- Brush your cat’s teeth. Doing this will prevent any oral infections such as tartar and plaque. Cat parents can use kinds of toothpaste specifically made for cats.
3.2. Take your cat to the vet for regular health checkups
Individuals wondering how to get rid of cat smell in house should consider this point as an important one. It would be best to never skip your cat’s regular health checkup with your vet. This will ensure that your cat is healthy and fit.
Additionally, individuals should consider seeing a vet if they are unable to get rid of their cat’s unpleasant smell. There might be some medical issues with your cat that need to be addressed. Hence, the vet will be able to diagnose the reason for your cat’s foul smell. They will further provide you with solutions to get rid of it.
So this was our blog, ‘some effective ways on how to get rid of cat smell in house.’ These are some ways cat parents could consider to eliminate that unpleasant smell in their homes caused by cat’s urine, feces, hair, and vomit. We advise implementing some of these steps to make your home odor-free. Also, do not take a chance if the foul smell does not go away even after trying these remedies. Take your cat to the vet to prevent any mishappenings.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Why is there an unpleasant smell all around our house with cats?
There can be different reasons for an unpleasant smell all around your house with cats. Cat urine, poop, hair and dander, and cat vomit could be the main reason for that foul smell.
2. My cat peed on the carpet two days back. I cleaned it today, but the smell is still there. Why?
Cat urine contains a lot of uric acid. This acid starts breaking down into ammonium chloride after some time. This foul smell caused by ammonium chloride is hard to get rid of. This is the reason why your carpet still smells bad even after you have cleaned it.
3. Are there any effective ways on how to get rid of cat smell in house?
There are a lot of ways through which cat parents can eliminate that unpleasant smell caused by cat urine and waste material. Some of them include regularly cleaning and grooming your cat, using vinegar to clean carpets and rugs, washing your cat’s bedding, and eating utensils on a regular basis.
4. How can I use baking soda to get rid of the smell of cat urine in my house?
Individuals can directly sprinkle baking soda on areas of their home where they experience an unpleasant smell. Additionally, you can also mix baking soda with cinnamon and cloves to create a natural air freshener. In both cases, you need to let the powder sit on the urine-affected area for at least one hour. You can vacuum the area thoroughly after the smell is eliminated.
5. Is there anything to worry about if my cat’s unpleasant smell doesn’t disappear?
There might not necessarily be anything that you should be worrying about. However, there might be chances that your cat is undergoing some medical issues. This could be the reason why you are not able to eliminate your cat’s foul smell from your house. In this case, we suggest you go and visit a vet. Your weight is the best person to diagnose the medical issue, if any, and provide a remedy to resolve it.
Nupur Goyal is a passionate content writer with a total experience of 3 years in the same field. She has written content on diverse niches for many popular websites. She is currently working as a full-time content writer in a reputed digital marketing agency in Delhi. She is really fond of animals, especially dogs. She has a pitbull named Casper. The only thing she loves besides content writing is playing with dogs, may it be her pet or the strays. Oh, how could we miss including that junk food point. She is a vegetarian and enjoys eating junk food.